General Funeral Questions

Displaying 1 - 10 of 82123456

Who pays for final arrangements for the indigent?

Most counties have an indigent burial program that is funded by state agencies. If a person dies, burial assistance may be obtained by applying to the appropriate county department. Generally, both the deceased person and the next of kin must qualify for the indigent burial program.

Can I name a designated agent other than next of kin to make decisions regarding disposition of my body after death?

In many states, you can name a designated agent for the purpose of carrying out your final wishes. Some states have a personal preference law that obligates the survivors to carry out the wishes of the dead, provided these wishes are within reason and can be carried out in a practical manner. Other states permit a person to name a designated agent to be in charge of decisions regarding disposition of the body after death. Some states will also allow a close friend to serve as next of kin if the above relatives are not available or able to serve.

For more details on each state’s rules governing designated agents, see

What recourse does a consumer have for poor service or overcharging?

If you have a complaint or are otherwise dissatisfied, first try contacting the funeral home that provided the services. If you cannot resolve the matter with the funeral home, there are several
organizations that may be able to help you. Depending on the nature of your complaint, one of the agencies below may be able to assist you:

The Funeral Consumers Alliance

The National Funeral Directors Help Line

The Funeral Ethics Organization

The International Cemetery, Cremation, and Funeral Association

You may also contact your state Attorney General’s office or local consumer protection agency

What does an average headstone cost?

The price of a headstone will vary depending on the material, where you purchase it, and cost of time and labor to cut and engrave the stone. On average, you can expect to spend anywhere between $400 – $1700 for a granite headstone.

What is an alternative container?

The law requires that a deceased person be in some kind of container during the cremation process. This can be a wood casket designed for cremation (combustible) or possibly an Eco-friendly casket. The minimal container is a cardboard box. This called an “alternative” container.

cardboard casket

An alternative container holds the body of the deceased and is generally less expensive than a metal casket. It is made of unfinished wood, fiberboard, pressed wood, or composition materials, and lacks fine finish or ornamentation. Alternative containers are often chosen for cremations due to their combustible nature. Alternative containers may also be the preferred container for direct burials or green buri

What are the very first things to do when a death occurs?

If Hospice Is Involved:

Call the hospice nurse to inform her of the death. The nurse and the hospice agency will then legally pronounce the death, handle any necessary calls, and help with arrangements to have the body transferred to the chosen funeral home.

If Hospice Is Not Involved:

1. Call 911
2. Unlock the door
3. If the patient had any out-of-hospital Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) document, have it ready to hand to the paramedics immediately when they arrive
4. Provide CPR if this is appropriate and there is no DNR document
5. Wait for further instructions from the emergency, medical, and law enforcement personnel.

What should I do when an expected death occurs at home?

If the death was expected, but the patient was not under hospice care, you will need to call 911. Both the police and the paramedics will probably respond. Paramedics will treat a “non-attended” (non-hospice) death like any other patient at risk. They do not expect ordinary citizens to be expert at determining death, and will initiate emergency medical procedures. They will probably take the person to the emergency room of the nearest hospital, where death may be officially pronounced by the emergency room doctor.

If the death was expected, and the deceased was under hospice care, do not call 911. Instead, call the hospice nurse. The hospice agency and the nurse will work together to make sure all local regulations are followed. The hospice nurse is authorized to legally pronounce the death and can assist the family to notify their funeral provider to remove the body.

How do I obtain a death certificate?

A death certificate is required by law after a person dies. Two parties must complete the death certificate – a medical professional (either a physician, coroner, or medical examiner) who will certify the death by noting the cause of death, time of death and the identity of the deceased; and a licensed funeral director, who will confirm that the body was properly handled.

The funeral director then files the completed death certificate with the county health department. This document is necessary for making funeral arrangements and handling personal, financial, and legal business on behalf of the person who died and his or her estate.

What is a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) order?

A Do Not Resuscitate order, or DNR, is a medical order written by a doctor that instructs health care providers not to do cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) if breathing stops or if the heart stops beating. It allows you to choose before an emergency occurs whether you want CPR. The order only covers CPR and does not affect other treatments, such as pain medicine, medicines, or

The doctor writes the order only after talking about it with the patient (if possible), the proxy, or family. A DNR order may be part of a hospice care plan.

Can my local funeral home still handle the arrangements if a loved one dies away from home?

Yes. In most cases, your local funeral home will be experienced in collaborating with out-of-town funeral homes and can handle the details to get your loved one home in the most efficient, cost-effective way.

Displaying 1 - 10 of 82123456

Ask a Question

Use the form below to ask a question

Fill in your email address