What are my rights under the Funeral Rule?
Under the Funeral Rule, you have the right to:
- Buy only the funeral arrangements you want
- Get pricing information over the phone
- Get a written, itemized price list when you visit a funeral home
- See a written casket price list before you actually view the caskets
- See a written outer burial container price list
- Receive a written statement after you select what you want, but before paying for it
- Get an explanation in the written statement from the funeral home that describes any legal cemetery or crematory requirement that requires you to buy any funeral goods or services
- Use an alternative container instead of a casket for cremation
- Provide the funeral home with a casket or urn you buy elsewhere
- Make funeral arrangements without embalming
For detailed information on your rights under the Funeral Rule, visit the FTC website at http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0300-ftc-funeral-rule.