For the purpose of receiving burial in a National Cemetery, a “veteran” is defined as one of the following:
• Someone who is currently serving, or has served, as a member of the Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard)
• Members of Reserve Components and Reserve Officers Training Corps
• Commissioned Officers, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
• A Commissioned Officer of the Regular or Reserve Corps of the Public Health Service
• World War II Merchant Mariners
• The Philippine Armed Forces
For detailed information on determining veteran status as it pertains to funeral benefits, visit http://www.cem.va.gov/cem/burial_benefits/eligible.asp.