What recourse does a consumer have for poor service or overcharging?

If you have a complaint or are otherwise dissatisfied, first try contacting the funeral home that provided the services. If you cannot resolve the matter with the funeral home, there are several
organizations that may be able to help you. Depending on the nature of your complaint, one of the agencies below may be able to assist you:

The Funeral Consumers Alliance



The National Funeral Directors Help Line



The Funeral Ethics Organization



The International Cemetery, Cremation, and Funeral Association



You may also contact your state Attorney General’s office or local consumer protection agency http://www.usa.gov/topics/consumer.shtml