Why You Should Plan Ahead
Taking charge of planning one’s own funeral or memorial service in advance offers several benefits to those who take the time to go through the process.
Although some people might view the idea of planning your own funeral service as a slightly morbid topic, or want to avoid the subject altogether, there are actually a number of practical reasons to consider pre-planning.
Pre-planning (also known as advance planning) offers you the best timing and the greatest opportunity to make informed choices about your final arrangements. When you make your final arrangements in advance, you are able to control the process in its entirety. Pre-planning allows you to design and set a complete plan in place that removes any potential confusion. When the time comes, your final arrangements, documented in advance, can be carried out smoothly and efficiently.
Pre-planning your final arrangements offers a number of specific benefits, both financial and emotional:
Financial Benefits of Pre-Planning
- Offers you the opportunity to research and compare the costs of final arrangements at your leisure
- Enables you to make appropriate financial decisions based on the information you have gathered
- Allows you to control the cost of your final arrangements
- Guarantees or locks in today’s prices for services and merchandise if you choose to pre-pay the costs
- Offers the opportunity to take advantage of affordable payment plans
- Relieves you and your family from future financial responsibilities and burdens
Emotional Benefits of Pre-Planning
- Pre-planning lets you make your wishes known to your family in a clear and documented manner, unburdened by emotion
- Spares your loved ones the stress of having to guess what you might have wanted done for your final arrangements
- Relieves your loved ones of the worry of whether they did the right thing or not
- Allows you to make your own choices without being under any immediate stress or pressure
- Eliminates the potential for emotional overspending by your family due to grief or guilt
- Brings peace of mind to your family’s decision-making
- Relieves your family from the strain of making at least some final decisions during a very emotional and stressful time
- Gives you a chance to personalize your funeral service according to your own tastes and preferences
- Offers an opportunity to get your loved ones involved in the planning process and make it a positive experience or “celebration of life”
- Provides you and your family with total peace of mind
Having a plan in place now will assure you and your family of the greatest potential benefits years into the future, when the services are actually needed.
Pre-planning your final arrangements can be one of the most thoughtful gifts you leave your family.